About 5 miles into the day I had another first- my first flat tire. Not just of this trip, I mean my first bike flat EVER! It happened to on a big long straight road stretch, with a wide shoulder, which was great. And it was a warm sunny day, also great. And I fixed it, so I was feeling pretty proud of myself (but it did take some time, since I'm pretty slow for my first flat, and really wanted to make sure I fixed it right). A couple miles later, my bike (which still needs a name...) clicked over 1000 miles since I bought it in late May. Yeah bike!!
The ride was rolling and some down, along a river, through a valley, and no bears seen, which I was mainly glad about. A grizzly 15 feet away is a little close when I'm just on a bike.
And then the road started to climb, up my last mountain pass of this trip. Hill was steep in spots, weather was great (almost too hot, which beats too cold of a few days ago), and there were even a few turnouts with shade. (my last hot day climb was completely without shade, and in one car turnout I actually went from car to car sitting in the car shade. I'm sure some people thought I was nuts!)
| At the top of my last pass, looking back the way I came. |
| I love these profiles at the top that show what you just came up. Makes me feel so accomplished! |
| At the top of the pass (did I mention it's my last pass??) there was a lovely blue/green lake, with water so clear you could see the mossy logs at the bottom. |
| The lake at the top of the pass. I look relieved, don't I? |
| I almost hit this guys as I was cruising down the hill after the pass... See the one on the right eyeing me? |
The hostel where I'm staying has a big porch with comfy chairs, and the temp after the sun went down was absolutely perfect, and I sat down there looking at the stars for a while. Also talked with another guest from calgary who belongs to a bike club that does an annual ride through the section I've just done. She's done it 11 times! I keep meeting people who have already done what I've done. It kills me a little when the section that almost did me in, they refer to as a 'nice ride'. I keep having to remind myself that it probably is a 'nice ride' when you have a sag wagon and aren't hauling your own gear!
I really need to weigh my bike and gear when I get home and before I unpack, people keep asking me how much it weighs and I'm getting quite curious. Anyone in Seattle have a scale I can borrow?
No comments:
Post a Comment