Monday, August 15, 2011

Days 2-4

Days 2-4 are mixed. I learn the following:
- at 4am, everything sounds like a bear sniffing around outside the tent. From this night forward I resolve to sleep with the bear spray IN my tent, rather than leaving it on my bike. Rookie mistake, not to be made again.

- The toughest uphill climb will be on a cloudless sunny day... and heading over my first mountain pass on day 2 I also end up in an area with limited trees, and no shade. I actually sit in the shade of stopping cars at a turnout to eat my lunch.
- Hills never look as steep in a photo than they really are. It annoys me. Can you tell in the photo above that it's a long steep road? Humor me and say yes. I was averaging 3.5 mph going up. Thankfully I'm in Canada: 5.6 kph sounds better.

I enjoy going down for the most part- but that's also nerve-wracking. Steering is a little different on a fully loaded bike.

Pic is taken by Cindy- who biked at slower than her usual pace to bike with me for part of this day.










 Entering the Columbia Icefield area- I'm pretty excited.

At the visitor center- the family that takes this photo for me is really nice... and from the Seattle area.

The Icefield behind me extends way into the background and is much larger than what is actually seen here.










Day 4- it's cold. A little rain, the roads are really wet, my left shoe bootie leaks so while my right foot stays nice and dry, my left foot is cold and wet.

This smile is slightly forced. I don't stop often enough to eat because I'm cold most of the day.  I can't get the balance right of enough clothes to stay warm, without being overly dressed and too hot. Hmm... rookie again.

I am still amazed by the color of the lake.

And I find snow on the ground of pass #2.
I know I'm in the mountains, but it's still my summer vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment